Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the period of May 5 to May 11, 2022.
All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies responded to St. Catherine of Alexandria Catholic Church regarding a trespassing call. The caller stated a female was at the location and refusing to leave.
Deputies contacted the trespasser and advised her to stay away from the church.
• Deputies responded to a business disturbance on the 100 block of Metropole Avenue. The caller stated he was the manager at the location and was threatened by an irate customer over the phone. The customer was upset because he could not get his hotel room early.
The manager told deputies the situation was handled.
• Deputies responded to an assault call on the 100 block of Sumner Avenue. The victim stated he was standing at the bar when he was “cold cocked” by a man he had never seen. The victim stated the assault was unprovoked and he does not know why the man would hit him. There were witnesses to the assault who told deputies the suspect lives on the island. The case is under investigation by Detective Martin.
• Deputies responded to a suspicious person at the Casino.
The caller stated a male adult was sleeping in the emergency stairwell.
Deputies contacted the man and told him he could not sleep at the location.
• Deputies responded to the Green Pier regarding a dispute between Harbor Patrol and a boater.
The boater was complaining the Harbor Officers were recording him as they patrolled.
• Deputies responded to a business disturbance at Mt. Ada. The caller stated he was having problems with a barefoot skateboarder who possibly damaged his vehicle.
The deputies spoke to both parties and determined no crime had been committed and there was no damage to the vehicle.
• Deputies responded to Descanso Beach regarding a business disturbance. The caller stated 4 males were drunk at the location and refusing to leave. Deputies arrived and contacted the 4 drunk men.
The men paid their bar tab and left the location.
• Deputies responded to the 400 block of Crescent Avenue regarding 4 males drinking beer. The deputies contacted the men and recognized them from the earlier call at Descanso Beach. The men were issued citations for drinking in public and will appear in Catalina Court at a later date.
• Deputies responded to a possible fight call on the 100 block of Sumner Avenue. Upon arrival the deputies observed several males arguing. The crowd dispersed with a little encouragement from the deputies.
• Deputies responded to a possible spousal assault call on the 200 block of Crescent Avenue. The caller stated he heard screaming coming from the hotel room and saw blood outside the door. Deputies contacted a male and female adult and determined no assault had occurred and the blood was from the female who had fallen.
• Deputies were contacted at the Sheriff’s Station by a man who stated he lost his cellphone. A lost cellphone report was written, and the case is being investigated.
• Deputies responded to the 400 block of Crescent Avenue regarding a possible structure fire. Deputies and firefighters arrived and determined it was an electrical fire inside the wall of the establishment. The fire was extinguished, and the location was rendered safe.
• Deputies responded to a disturbance call at Catalina Island Medical Center. The caller stated a patient in the waiting room was acting irate. Deputies arrived and recognized the disturbing party from the community. The deputies were able to calm the man down and get him treated by medical staff.