Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon’s Sheriff’s Stations significant incidents report for the period of March 9 to March 15, 2023. All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies conducted foot patrol on Crescent Avenue and the downtown area. They advised cruise ship passengers of the local laws pertaining to alcohol and marijuana usage.
• Deputies responded to Hamilton Cove regarding suspicious male adults knocking on doors and pulling on door handles. The men were staying at the resort and could not remember which unit they were staying in.
• Deputies and Baywatch responded to an engine fire on a vessel at Two Harbors. They boarded the vessel and determined there was no fire and merely a faulty starter. The US Coast Guard arrived and conducted a seaworthy inspection of the vessel.
• Deputies responded to a disturbance on the 100 block of Metropole Avenue. The caller stated a man was causing a disturbance outside. The deputies contacted the man, reminded it was midnight and that he was not the only person on the island. They escorted him back to his hotel room and encouraged him to get a good night’s rest.
• Deputies responded to a loud music call on the 100 block of Sumner Avenue. They arrived and found 3 men listening to loud music. They asked the men to lower the volume and they did. Approximately 1 hour later the deputies returned and found the men drinking beer and once again listening to loud music. They issued citations to all 3 men for drinking alcohol in public.
• Deputies responded to the 100 block of Catalina Avenue regarding a disturbance. The caller stated a man was smoking a cigarette outside and blowing smoke into the restaurant. The deputies asked the man to respect the air space of others who did not smoke.
Deputies were contacted at the Sheriff’s Station by a resident who stated his check was stolen and altered. The case is being investigated by Detective Meyers.