Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the period of April 28 to May 4, 2022.
All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies responded to a loud music disturbance call on the 800 block of Country Club Drive. The caller stated 3 females and 1 man were being loud in one of the guest rooms. Deputies contacted a male at the location who was apologetic and lowered his music.
• Deputies responded to Descanso Beach regarding a male trespassing at the location. The caller stated the property had a Letter of Agency prohibiting the named male adult from trespassing. Upon arriving at the location, the trespasser had already vacated the premises. However, the deputies knew the male and contacted him later and advised him to stay away from the property.
• Deputies were contacted at the Sheriff’s Station by a woman who stated she had an argument with her boyfriend because he was going to leave her on the island. The deputies were able to contact the man and woman and counsel them. The couple left the island holding hands.
• Deputies responded to the Cabrillo Mole regarding a stolen golf cart. The deputies located the stolen cart and the suspects. The deputies conducted an investigation and determined the victim was non desirous of prosecution and only wanted his golf cart back. The cart was returned to the owner and the suspects left the island on the next departing boat.
• Deputies responded to the 200 block of Marilla Avenue regarding a possible spousal assault just occurred. The caller stated a male and female were fighting at the location and he could hear screaming coming from the hotel room.
Upon arrival the deputies contacted both parties and determined the couple was arguing only and no assault had occurred.
• Deputies responded to Metropole Avenue and Crescent Avenue regarding a grey EZGO golf cart driving erratically. The deputies canvassed the surrounding areas and were unable to locate the careless driver.
• Deputies and detectives responded to Banning House Road regarding a trespassing in progress call. The caller stated a male adult broke into the neighbor’s home and was refusing to leave. The deputies contacted the man. Trung Nguyen, 42, of Santa Monica was arrested on suspicion of trespassing. He was booked and released on a notice to appear.
• Deputies responded to the Cabrillo Mole regarding 2 people fighting. Upon arrival, the deputies contacted a male and female adult who were arguing. The couple was uncooperative and stated they were arguing only. They were warned regarding their behavior, and they left the location.
• Deputies received a vandalism call at the Hogs back gate. The caller stated 3 males in a golf cart broke the gate at the location and fled. The deputies immediately searched the downtown area and located the golf cart. The golf cart was parked and unoccupied. The deputies were able to locate the driver of the golf cart who was extremely sorry. The driver was escorted to the Conservancy office where he paid for the damaged gate.
• Deputies conducted foot patrols on Crescent Avenue due to the cruise ship being docked outside the harbor. Deputies contacted and warned numerous individuals regarding smoking marijuana in public. Most of the smokers were apologetic however, some were not as welcoming.
• Deputies responded to a disturbance call on Metropole Avenue. The caller a man was trespassing at the location. The deputies contacted all parties including the trespassers Mom and Dad. All parties agreed the matter would be handled by the parents and the sheriff would assist if there were any further problems.