50-Mile Run still set for Saturday

0
637

The 35th Annual Avalon Benefit 50-Mile Run is still scheduled to start at 5 a.m., Saturday, Jan. 9, provided cross channel boats are able to bring runners to the race.

“As happens occasionally on Catalina Island we are keeping a close eye on the storm system passing through southern California,” according to a statement issued by race directors Mike Bone and John Regalado.

“As long as the Cross Channel carriers are traveling to get runners to the island then we are planning on running,” according to Bone and Regalado.

The 35th Annual Avalon Benefit 50-Mile Run is still scheduled to start at 5 a.m., Saturday, Jan. 9, provided cross channel boats are able to bring runners to the race.

“As happens occasionally on Catalina Island we are keeping a close eye on the storm system passing through southern California,” according to a statement issued by race directors Mike Bone and John Regalado.

“As long as the Cross Channel carriers are traveling to get runners to the island then we are planning on running,” according to Bone and Regalado.

“Please continue to check our Facebook page at runcatalina.com for up to the moment updates,” according to Bone and Regalado.

Race information is also available at www.avalon50.com.

The National Weather Service is giving a 20 percent chance of showers in the Long Beach area for Friday, Jan. 8, a 20 to 80 percent chance of rain Friday night and an 80 percent chance of rain Saturday.

“The road through Rancho Escondido is not available due to some construction concerns with a new road being built in the middle of the island. Therefore the current course plans call for running out and back through Middle Canyon. The good news is that you get to finally run down Pumphouse Hill – the bad is that we will still bring you back Up Pumphouse Hill,” according to Bone and Regalado.

The 50-Mile Run is a fundraising event for local charities that include the Avalon Lions Club.

According to Council Member Oley Olsen, the Lions could raise as much as $22,000 from the race.

The race course will start at Crescent and the Pier.

The course will close at 5 p.m.

The race is run by Spectrum Sports Management.

50-Mile Run still set for Saturday