The following is the Avalon’s Sheriff’s Stations significant incidents report for the period of May 18 to May 24, 2023.
All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
- A deputy and a sergeant responded to Tremont regarding truancy from school. They contacted the student and parents and reminded them of the importance of a good education. The student was taken to school.
- Deputies responded to the Two Harbors campsite regarding a family disturbance. The caller stated a man and woman were arguing and had been separated. The deputies interviewed both parties and Matthew Mason, 45, of Canada, was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence. He was transported to and booked at Avalon Station.
•Deputies responded to Tremont Hall regarding a loud music complaint. The deputies contacted the party goers and advised them to lower the volume of the music. The disturbing parties were cooperative.
- A sergeant on patrol observed a vehicle fail to stop at a stop sign on Beacon and Sumner. He contacted the driver and warned him regarding the vehicle code violation. He also advised him golf carts are considered motor vehicles and shall obey all rules of the road. He told him a stop sign “overtown” is the same as a stop sign on the island.
- Deputies responded to a fight call on the 100 block of Sumner Avenue. The caller stated his friend was involved in a fight with security at the location. The deputies arrived and contacted all involved parties. An assault report was written and the case is under investigation by Avalon Detectives. The detectives are reviewing video footage and statements from all parties.
- Deputies responded to a traffic collision on the 100 block of Viedelou Avenue. The caller stated a vehicle hit a parked vehicle and a telephone pole. The deputies arrived and contacted the driver. An investigation was completed and Axel Hernandez, 18, of Avalon, was arrested on suspicion of DUI. Hernandez was booked at Avalon Station.
- Deputies responded to St. Catherine Way regarding a possible drunk man. The caller stated she observed a man walking on the roadway stumbling and weaving. The deputies contacted the man and saw him lying on the grass. The man appeared to have exceeded his limit in alcohol consumption and was taking a little nap. He said he really enjoyed his visit to the island and would be leaving on the next departing boat. The man’s wife arrived and said she would take care of him and get them both on the boat.
- Deputies responded to a disturbance on the 100 block of Sumner Avenue regarding a disturbance. The deputies observed several people who had obviously exceeded their limit and were feeling their oats. The deputies advised them it was time to leave and head home. They accepted the deputies invitation and vacated the area.
- Deputies conducted foot patrols on Crescent Avenue due to a Carnival Cruise ship being in town.
- The Sheriff’s Department homeless outreach team was on island conducting interviews of individuals who were possibly in need of assistance. The team assists individuals with housing, counseling and job placement “overtown”.
When renting Tremont Hall for parties, receptions, gatherings etc., please abide by the city’s noise ordinance. This includes keeping all music inside the hall. Deputies will be conducting checks of the hall during the busy graduation and summer seasons.