Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of Aug. 26 to Sept. 1, 2021. All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies responded to the 100 block of Crescent Avenue regarding a disturbance call. They contacted a male adult who was displaying the signs and symptoms of being under the influence of alcohol. The deputies conducted an investigation and ultimately arrested Peter Jones, 54, of Avalon, on suspicion of being drunk in public. He was transported and booked at Avalon Sheriff’s Station.
• Deputies received a disturbance call at Casino Way. The informant stated she was being harassed by a male adult in the area. Deputies contacted the male and warned him regarding disturbing and harassing others. He was cooperative.
• Deputies responded to a music disturbance call at Casino Way. The caller stated a male in his 50s to 60s wearing a Hawaiian shirt was playing a harmonica and amplifying it with a speaker. The caller also stated the harmonica playing man did the same thing the night prior. Deputies contacted the musician and advised him of disturbing the peace laws. He was cooperative.
• Deputies received a business disturbance call on the 600 block of Crescent Avenue. The caller stated 12-15 drunk people were yelling at employees because they would not rent them golf carts. Deputies contacted the individuals who left the location without incident.
• Deputies received 3 disturbance calls involving a female adult who was creating a disturbance. The calls were on the 100 block of Clarissa Avenue and the 200 block of Sumner Avenue. Deputies were finally able to locate the disturbing party and noticed she was displaying the symptoms of drug use. Deputies conducted an investigation and arrested Sandra Gutierrez, 35, of Avalon on suspicion of being under the influence of a controlled substance. She was transported and booked at Avalon Sheriff’s Station.
• A vandalism report was taken on the 100 block of Catalina, where a parked vehicle had both side view mirrors broken off.
• Deputies received a business disturbance call on the 500 block of Crescent Avenue. The caller stated a customer was refusing to check out from the hotel. Deputies stood by while the manager, employee and customer resolved their issues. There was no crime at the location.
• Deputies were summoned to Pebbly Beach Road regarding two males in a rental golf cart who were drinking beer. Deputies checked the area and were unable to locate the offenders.
• Deputies were called to the 100 block of Marilla Avenue, regarding a male (18-25 years old) punching vehicle mirrors and damaging them. Deputies wrote a vandalism report and the case is under investigation.
• Deputies responded to a disturbance call at “Step Beach.” The caller stated a male adult 18 years old was being rude to him. Deputies contacted several juveniles in the area and advised them to be respectful to lifeguards and listen to what they have to say.
• Deputies responded to the 500 block of Crescent Avenue regarding male adults hitting golf balls down the beach. The deputies contacted several golfers who were merely fine tuning their swings in preparation for an upcoming match.
• Deputies responded to 1 Cabrillo Mole regarding a disturbance on the Catalina Express. The boat was returning with an unruly passenger. Upon arrival at the dock, deputies contacted a female adult who left the boat without incident.
• Deputies received a trespassing call the radio Station. The caller stated a male transient was sleeping under the building. The deputies contacted the transient and assisted him in moving his belongings. They also advised him of trespassing laws.