Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of April 7, 2021 to April 13, 2021. All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies responded to a possible stolen vehicle call in the 100 block of Pebbly Beach Road. During their investigation they determined the suspect had taken a golf cart without the owner’s consent and drove it around town. The golf cart was located and returned to the legal owner. Suspect Courtney Reid, 18, of New York, was arrested on suspicion of felony vehicle theft and booked at Avalon Station where he was cited out with a future court appearance date.
• Deputies responded to 100 block of Pebbly Beach Road regarding a disturbance between a man and a woman who were arguing. Deputies discovered both parties had physically assaulted each other during their argument. Both Mikesha Jordan, of Los Angeles, and Charston Crawford, 40, of Los Angeles, were arrested on suspicion of spousal battery. They were transported and booked at Avalon Station.
• Deputies responded to 100 block of Sumner Avenue regarding a possible assault with a deadly weapon call. The call stated a person was shot in the face with a pellet gun. Upon arrival, deputies discovered the victim, a man, was bleeding slightly from his left eyebrow. The victim said he got into a verbal argument with four men and in order to avoid a physical confrontation he walked away. While walking away he heard a popping sound and realized he had been struck on his eyebrow. The suspects left the area and are outstanding. The case is being investigated by Avalon Station detectives.
• Deputies responded to 60 block of Sol Vista regarding a loud music disturbance call. They contacted a female white adult who acknowledged the music was too loud and agreed to turn it down.
• Deputies responded to 100 block of Crescent Avenue regarding a male and female arguing. Deputies contacted an employee from Bellanca Hotel who advised them the couple left the location without incident. The deputies checked the surrounding area and were unable to locate the disturbing parties.
• Deputies and members from the Avalon and LA County Fire Departments responded to 1 St. Catherine Way, Aerial Park, regarding a medical rescue call. A 22-years-old woman was treated by paramedics at the location for a leg injury. The victim was transported to Catalina Island Medical Center for further treatment.
• Deputies received an anonymous call of a disturbance near the rear of the Hermosa Hotel on Whittley Avenue. The caller stated there was loud music and drunk people at the location. The deputies were unable to locate and disturbing parties at the location or the surrounding area.
• Deputies responded to 800 block of Country Club Drive at Holiday Inn regarding a disturbance call. The caller stated a male and female could be heard arguing inside Room 505. During their investigation deputies contacted a male and female adult who stated they were in fact arguing. There was no evidence of any crimes at the location. The two adults were counseled and agreed not to argue.
• Deputies were requested at Descanso Beach regarding a business disturbance. The disturbance involved four adults yelling at employees over a reserved seating area. The disturbing parties were sitting in an area they had not paid to reserve. The deputies contacted the disturbing parties along with the property manager and advised them of trespassing laws. They agreed and left the location.
• Deputies responded to 40 block of Sol Vista regarding a woman being knocked over by a neighbor’s dog. Deputies contacted a neighbor woman and advised her of the Dog Leash Law. All parties involved were cooperative.
• Deputies and Fire Department members responded to Hamilton Cove regarding a rescue call. Upon arrival, they contacted a woman who had suffered a head injury when she fell out of her golf cart. She was transported by paramedics to Catalina Island Medical Center for further treatment.
• Deputies on patrol contacted two females in the 100 block of Catalina Street. The females were found to be in drinking an alcoholic beverage in public. The females were cited for violation of the misdemeanor Avalon Municipal Code 5-12.02
• Deputies received a medical emergency call from an Apple Watch in the 300 block of Beacon Street. Deputies contacted a female adult who advised it was an accidental activation and she was not experiencing any type of medical emergency.
• Deputies responded to the 800 block of Crescent Avenue regarding “Cartopia” regarding threatening telephone calls. The caller stated she was receiving threatening text messages from a family member. Deputies conducted an investigation and contacted both parties involved. It was determined there was no evidence of a crime. Deputies advised both parties of laws involving violations of court orders and threatening communications.
Safety Note—Clear the weeds
June 1 is the deadline to remove all weeds, rubbish and vegetative fuels that pose a potential fire hazard from local properties. Failure to comply with weed abatement may result in a misdemeanor citation.