Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the period of Dec. 30, 2021 to Jan. 5, 2022. All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
December 30, 2021
• Deputies responded to a vandalism report call at the Post Office. The informant stated unknown suspect(s) threw a rock at the window causing it to break. The case is currently under investigation.
• Deputies responded to the 500 block of Crescent Avenue regarding a disturbance between a boyfriend and girlfriend. The informant stated a 60 year old male was arguing with his girlfriend who appeared to be in her 20’s. The deputies contacted the parties and determined no crime had occurred and the female was drunk and emotional. Both parties left the island on the next ferry.
December 30, 2021
• Deputies responded to the 800 block of Country Club Drive regarding a business disturbance. The caller stated people in one of the guest rooms were yelling at each other regarding a phone. The deputies contacted all parties and determined it was a discussion between drunk family members only.
December 31, 2021
• Deputies responded to “Hermit Gulch” campground regarding a large bonfire. Upon arrival the deputies located a small bonfire with no one tending to it. The deputies extinguished the fire with water and left the location.
January 1, 2022
• Deputies responded to a fight call on the 100 block of Sumner Avenue. Upon arrival they saw the security guards holding a reportedly combative male down on the ground. The deputies intervened and detained the male without any problems. While interviewing the male they noticed he appeared to be extremely intoxicated and was unable to care for himself. Due to the above, Sanh Chan, 42, of Rosemead, was arrested on suspicion of public intoxication and booked at Avalon Sheriff’s Station.
January 1, 2022
• Deputies responded to the “Cabrillo Mole” regarding a found property call. The caller stated a security guard for Carnival Cruise Lines had found US Currency on Float #5 while tendering passengers. The security guard stated he would return the US Currency to the cruise ship’s lost and found.
January 2, 2022
• Deputies responded to a loud music call on the 100 block of Sumner Avenue. The caller stated guests in one of the hotel rooms was playing loud music and refused to turn it down. The deputies contacted a male adult in the guest room and asked him to lower the volume of his music. The disturbing party was cooperative and turned his music down.
January 3, 2022
• Deputies received a disturbance call at a hotel on the 200 block of Marilla Avenue. The caller stated a male adult was continually walking by her hotel room door. The caller also stated she was inside the room with 4 of her girlfriends and they were scared. The deputies contacted the informant and checked the surrounding area for the male. They were unable to locate anyone matching the description given by the informant.
January 4, 2022
•Deputies were contacted by a woman at the Sheriff’s Station who stated nude photographs were being sent to her cellphone. Deputies investigated and determined the photos were located in the phone’s saved photos and not in the message box. The informant advised the deputies she would talk to her family members regarding the photos. There was no evidence of a crime.