Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of Sept. 23 to Sept. 29, 2021. All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies responded to the 100 block of Clarissa Avenue regarding a possible spousal assault. Deputies arrived and detained two individuals at the location. The deputies conducted an investigation and located a female adult inside the apartment suffering from facial trauma. During the investigation the deputies determined the victim had been assaulted by the female suspect. The deputies also determined the suspect was under the influence of a controlled substance. Sandra Gutierrez, 35, of Avalon, arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon, assault creating great bodily injury and being under the influence. The suspect was transported and booked at Avalon Station.
• Deputies responded to Machine Gun Park regarding a business disturbance. The caller stated a male adult was interfering with the trash man and not letting him do his job. Deputies contacted the disturbing party who agreed to leave the location.
• Deputies responded to a disturbance call on the 200 block of Whittley Avenue. The caller stated two males were yelling at each other.
Upon arrival deputies contacted the same male adult who was interfering with the trash man earlier in the day. Once again they counseled him and he left the location.
• Deputies responded to a report of a missing adult at Hamilton Cove. The informant stated her sister in law had been missing for three hours and they believed she was drunk.
Deputies located the missing sister in law in front of the Chi Club, who stated she was not missing and she was celebrating her birthday.
Deputies gave the woman a ride home to her family at Hamilton Cove.
• Deputies and the fire departments responded to a fire alarm call on the 100 block of Sumner Avenue. Upon arrival the fire departments determined there was no fire at the location and only an alarm malfunction.
• Deputies responded to a disturbance call on the 100 block of Catalina Avenue. The caller stated she was afraid of her husband who was in San Diego. Deputies spoke to the informant who told them she was drinking at a bar and other bar patrons told her to call the police regarding her husband’s behavior. Deputies determined no crime had been committed and the husband was in fact in San Diego. They also determined the husband had not been in contact with the informant.
• Deputies responded to a disturbance call on the 400 block of Crescent Avenue. The caller a male adult was bothering customers and banging on the windows.
Deputies located the disturbing party and recognized him as a habitual nuisance. They warned him regarding his behavior and he agreed to behave.
• Deputies responded to a traffic collision at Hill Street and Vieudelou Avenue. Upon arrival the deputies located an overturned golf cart and two injured people.
The injured parties were treated by the fire departments. The case is currently under investigation.
• Deputies received a disturbance call regarding a boyfriend/girlfriend. The victim said that she fell asleep in their room, and when she woke up, her boyfriend was gone.
She called his cell phone and later found him sitting on a bench intoxicated.
The victim became angry and they began to argue. When they returned to their room, the suspect threw the victim’s belongings out and shoved her into a table lamp causing it to break.
The victim ran into the bathroom where the suspect followed her and began punching her.
The suspect fled the location and was detained by deputies. Kaustuv Delal, 25, of Seattle, Washington, was arrested on suspicion of inflicting corporal injuries on a cohabitant or spouse. He was transported and booked at Avalon Sheriff’s Station.
• A sergeant responded to the 400 block of Crescent Avenue regarding a male on the beach assaulting people.
Upon arrival he observed the male swaying from side to side and raising his fists at people walking on Crescent Avenue as if he were challenging them to a fight.
When contacted, the sergeant could smell a strong odor of alcohol emitting from the suspect’s breath and his speech was slow and slurred.
The male was asked if he had anyone to take care of him, but he stated he was alone and all of his friends had left the island.
The sergeant arrested Viren Dahya, 38, of El Segundo, on suspicion of being drunk in public.
• Deputies received a family disturbance call on the 100 block of Marilla Avenue.
The caller stated a male and female could be heard arguing in one of the hotel rooms. The deputies contacted a male and female adult and determined they were arguing only and no crime had been committed.
• Deputies conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle at Tremont Street and Descanso Avenue for failing to stop at a posted stop sign. The deputies warned the driver who was cooperative.
• Deputies responded to Machine Gun Park regarding a suspicious person. The caller stated a male was running through the park causing a disturbance.
The deputies checked the location and were unable to locate the trouble maker.
• There were no significant incidents to report.