Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of Sept. 23 to Sept. 29, 2020. All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies responded to Lover’s Cove regarding a domestic violence call. When the deputies arrived, they saw a female from Huntington Beach assaulting her boyfriend. Deputies arrested the female and transported her to the Avalon Sheriff’s Station.
• Deputies responded to the 500 block of Crescent Avenue regarding an intoxicated man described as acting extremely bizarre. Upon the deputies’ arrival, they arrested Patrick Granado, 39, of Carlsbad, for suspicion of being drunk in public. The same man was issued an Avalon administrative citation for not wearing a face covering in violation of the LA County Health Order.
• An Avalon administrative citation was issued to a man for drinking an alcoholic beverage in public, in violation of an Avalon municipal code, while in the 100 block of Sumner Avenue. (Editor’s note: Law enforcement agencies don’t release the names of individuals who have merely received citations.
• Deputies were contacted by an Avalon resident that her 17-year-old son left the island after a family argument. A missing person’s report was completed. The juvenile has run away from home on numerous occasions.
• Deputies saw a rental golf cart blocking Descanso Avenue at Beacon Street. The passenger was also drinking a beer. The vehicle drove off and the deputies stopped them. The driver, Anel Martinez, 37, of Whittier, was arrested for suspicion of drunk driving.
• Deputies responded to the Green Pier regarding three men fighting. Deputies learned the argument was over a basketball jersey one of the men was wearing. Deputies arrested all three men for fighting. They were Benjamin Valdez, 22, of Roseville; Christopher Valdez, 37, of Fairfield; and Gustavo Gutierrez, 28, Bakersfield
• Deputies received a call regarding a person screaming from a boat in the Avalon Harbor. Deputies contacted the man that was screaming and determined he was not in distress. No crimes had been committed.
• A YouTube video from 2012 showed a man shooting a handgun from Wrigley Terrace Road into the Avalon Harbor. A criminal investigation is being conducted.
• Deputies responded to a domestic violence call in the 200 block of Descanso Avenue. Deputies arrested Catherine Rogers, 65, of Avalon, for suspicion of assault.
• Deputies were contacted by a victim who reported her disabled persons placard was stolen from her vehicle in the 200 block of Sumner Avenue.
• Deputies received a call at 1 Cabrillo Mole from a man who could not find his intoxicated girlfriend. Deputies were able to locate the girlfriend in the 500 block of Crescent Avenue and escorted her back to her boyfriend.
Cybersecurity Awareness Month is October. Remember to practice good password management, avoid “phishing” scams, keep your software up-to-date, be careful what you click on, and install antivirus/anti-malware protection.