Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of May 27 to June 2, 2021. All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies responded to the Avalon Sheriff’s Station regarding a husband and wife arguing. The deputies spoke to both parties and determined no crime had been committed.
• Deputies on boat patrol in Emerald Bay noticed a vessel in motion. Upon further inspection they determined the vessel had 2 underage children as passengers and they were not wearing their lifejackets. The deputies cited the adult boat operator for the Harbors and Navigation Code violation.
• Deputies on patrol in the 100 block of Catalina Avenue cited two male adults for drinking alcohol in public.
• Deputies assisted the LA County Fire Department and Sheriff’s Air Rescue 5 with a medical emergency call at Cherry Cove. A 79 year old male was found unconscious and not breathing. CPR was administered and the male adult did not survive.
• Deputies responded to the 200 block of Marilla Avenue regarding a domestic violence call for service. Their investigation revealed the suspect was having a verbal argument with his girlfriend when the allegedly suspect struck her on the back of her head with an open hand and shoved her against the wall several times. Deputies arrested Edward Blaker, DOB 12-01-1963, of Thousand Oaks, for alleged spousal battery and he was booked at Avalon Sheriff’s Station.
• Deputies on foot patrol in the 100 block of Sumner Avenue noticed a male adult drinking alcohol in public. They detained him, conducted an investigation and ultimately cited him for drinking in public.
• Deputies responded to Two Harbors Camp Ground regarding an intoxicated male being aggressive with other campers. They detained a suspect who displayed signs of being under the influence of alcohol. Deputies tried to talk to the suspect and calm him down, but the suspect became aggressive with his family and others in the campground. Zachary Smith, DOB 04-27-1993, of Redmond, was taken into custody, transported and booked at Avalon Sheriff’s Station on suspicion of drunk in public.
• A call was dispatched to the 200 block of Crescent Avenue regarding a petty theft. The victim stated an unknown male Hispanic wearing a blue hat, stole a Mario Brothers piñata and ran southbound on Marilla Avenue and out of sight. A search for the suspect met with negative results. The case is being handled by Avalon Station Detectives.
• Deputies responded to the intersection of Crescent Ave. and Catalina St. regarding a male adult laying on the ground near the public restroom. Deputies contacted the male and determined he was staying at a local hotel with a friend. They escorted him to the hotel where he was cared for by his friend.
• Deputies responded to the 100 block of Catalina Avenue regarding a possible golf cart theft.
The owner of the golf cart stated unknown persons had stolen his golf cart from his driveway and he located the cart and a possible suspect in front of Chet’s Hardware.
During their investigation the deputies determined no crime had been committed and the possible suspect had mistakenly driven the wrong golf cart.
• Deputies received a disturbance call on the 100 block of Catalina Avenue. The caller stated there were two male adults arguing in front of the Marlin Club. Deputies contacted the disturbing parties and determined no crime had been committed.
• Deputies received a disturbance call on the 100 block of Hill Street. The caller stated a male adult was being loud. The deputies checked the area and were unable to locate any source of disturbance.