The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of July 1 to July 8, 2021.
All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies on patrol conducted a traffic stop near Descanso Beach. They observed a male adult driving a golf cart with his 2-year-old son on his lap. They issued the driver a citation for not having his child secured.
• Deputies received a disturbance call on the 300 block of Sumner Avenue. The caller stated the property was a vacation rental and the renters were refusing to leave the location. Deputies contacted the renters who were cooperative and left the location.
• Deputies responded to Hermit Gulch Campground regarding a suspicious person. The caller stated a male adult was carrying a guitar case, scarring tourists and digging a hole in the bushes to make a home. Upon their arrival, deputies were unable to locate the guitar carrying hole digger.
• Deputies responded to the 100 block of Crescent Avenue regarding a business disturbance. During the disturbance a male adult and 2 female adults appeared intoxicated and were verbally assaultive towards patrons and employees at the location. The deputies contacted all involved parties and warned them regarding their behavior.
• Deputies were conducting a patrol check on the 100 block of Sumner Avenue. They noticed several males that appeared to be involved in a fight. After being contacted, the group dispersed and left the area except for the suspect, who refused to leave. During contact with the suspect, he had a strong smell of alcohol and burnt marijuana emitting from his breath and person, and was swaying back and forth. The suspect was detained and Victor Garcia, 23, of Avalon was subsequently arrested on suspicion of public intoxication. He was booked at Avalon Sheriff’s Station.
• Deputies on patrol made contact with a male wanted on two outstanding warrants totaling more than $300,000. The warrants were for felony stalking and a failure to appear in court on an unrelated charge. Although the man attempted to elude capture, he was ultimately apprehended with help from community members who assisted in updating personnel as to his whereabouts. The male was detained and arrested Adrian Meison-Tejeda, 19, on the basis of the outstanding warrants and awaits court proceedings over town.
• Deputies responded to Step Beach regarding a disturbance call. The caller advised a male adult was harassing visitors on the beach. The deputies contacted the disturbing party and spoke to him regarding the complaints. He complied and left the location.
• Deputies responded to Empire landing regarding fatigued kayakers. The kayakers stated they were exhausted and possibly suffering from heat exhaustion. The deputies assisted the kayakers and returned them to Two Harbors where they recovered from their tiredness.
• Deputies on boat patrol at Two Harbors received a call of males lighting illegal fireworks. They were able to locate the criminals, confiscate 12 lbs of illegal fireworks and issued them citations for the violations.
• Deputies on foot patrol on the 400 block of Crescent Avenue observed a male adult drinking alcohol in public. They detained him, conducted an investigation and cited him for possessing open alcoholic beverage in public.
• Deputies on patrol observed a male adult driving a golf cart and committing numerous vehicle code violations. They conducted a traffic stop and issued the driver a citation for failing to stop at a stop sign and driving on the wrong side of the road.
• Deputies responded to the 300 block of Crescent Avenue regarding a male yelling at people on the beach. The deputies contacted the disturbing party and advised him to go to another location where he would not disturb others. He agreed and left the location.
• Deputies responded to a disturbance call at Dive Park. The disturbance involved three divers who were arguing and yelling at each other. Deputies contacted all involved parties and determined no crime had occurred.
• Deputies responded to a drunk person causing a disturbance at the Green Pleasure Pier. During their investigation the deputies learned a male adult was masturbating in the bathroom while it was occupied by people using the facilities.
A person who witnessed the events placed Eduardo Mendoza-Garcia, 27, of Huntington Park, under private persons/citizen’s arrest on suspicion of indecent exposure by a person who witnessed the events.
• During the holiday weekend we maintained a proactive posture and sense of readiness which resulted in an overall safer community. Many warnings were given with compliance while several others were issued citations for drinking in public.