The following is the Avalon’s Sheriff’s Stations significant incidents report for the period of Aug. 24 to Aug. 30, 2023. All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
- Deputies responded to Sol Vista regarding a suspicious person. The caller stated a man named Christian was seen wandering around the property. The deputies know the man from numerous prior contacts and responded to the location. They determined there had been no crimes committed. Christian was counseled regarding his behavior and urged to be a good, young man.
- Deputies responded to Descanso Beach regarding a petty theft. The informant stated a local man had stolen a beer from the location. The deputies contacted the man with sticky fingers and made it very clear theft of any type would not be tolerated on the island. The man apologized and left the location.
- Deputies responded to Isthmus Beach regarding a drunk man who was reportedly picking fights with beachgoers. They located the man and immediately noticed he was extremely intoxicated. The man was confrontational and verbally abusive towards the deputies. The deputies recognized the man as an Avalon resident and calmly spoke with him in an attempt to calm him down. They offered the man a ride back to his home in Avalon and he refused. Due to the man being unable to care for himself and having no one to take care of him, Gustavo Hernandez, 20, was arrested on suspicion of public intoxication. The man was booked at Avalon Station.
- Deputies responded to a fight call at the Mole. The caller stated several people in line were fighting. The deputies arrived and contacted 2 men who were involved in a fight. The men were non-desirous of any reports or arrests. Due to their unruly behavior, the captain of the boat refused to allow them on. The men learned the hard way that the captain is in overall command of his vessel.
- Deputies responded to a disturbance call on Eucalyptus Avenue. The caller stated it was 12:30 a.m. and there was loud singing coming from the home. The deputies contacted a woman at the location and asked her to keep the noise down. They also told the woman if she wanted to practice her singing skills El Galleon hosted karaoke night.
- Deputies responded to a business disturbance on Crescent Avenue. The caller stated a customer appeared drunk and was threatening staff. The deputies contacted the man and told him the business had the right to refuse service to him especially if he was creating problems. The man understood and left to purchase his hamburger somewhere else.
- Deputies responded to the 200 block of Metropole Avenue regarding an Apple IWatch emergency activation. The deputies were able to contact the owner of the watch who advised he was fine and his watch had fallen into the water.
- A deputy and sergeant responded to a family disturbance at the Mole. The caller stated her boyfriend was yelling at her. They spoke to the man and woman and determined no crimes had been committed other than hurt feelings. The man and woman left on separate boats and will settle their differences on the mainland.
- Deputies responded to the Mole regarding a man arguing in line and possibly being drunk. The deputies contacted the man who was with his wife and son. While waiting in line, the man began yelling and cursing at his wife and other patrons. The captain of the boat observed this behavior and refused to allow them on. Once again, the captain is in charge of his vessel and the safety of his passengers.
Parents, with school back in session please do not allow your unlicensed children to drive a vehicle or golf cart.