Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of April 14, 2021 to April 20, 2021. All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies received a call for service at the 100 block of Marilla Avenue, Aurora Hotel, regarding a verbal disturbance in one of the rooms. They contacted a male and female and warned them about being too loud. Both parties were cooperative and agreed to stop arguing.
• Deputies received a 911 telephone call in which the caller hung up before communicating with law enforcement.
The deputies responded to the 100 block of Pebbly Beach Road. “Wet Spot” which is where the call originated from.
During their investigation, deputies discovered a person had been injured and went to the hospital prior to their arrival.
• Deputies responded to 1 Cabrillo Mole “Catalina Express” regarding a man and woman arguing.
The deputies counseled a male and female adult regarding arguing and determined no crime had been committed. Both parties left the island with no further issues.
• Deputies responded to the 200 block of Sumner Avenue, Vons, on two separate calls for service regarding customers refusing to wear masks. Both times deputies contacted male and female adults and advised them of the mask mandate.
All disturbing parties were cooperative.
• Deputies took a petty theft report regarding the theft of a red gas can.
The theft allegedly occurred in Avalon Harbor from the victim’s boat.
The informant on the report stated he contacted the victim and told him saw the suspect (described as a white male, age 45) on his boat as he stole his gas can, and attempted to steal his kayak.
Detectives are currently investigating the case.
• Deputies were called to the 300 block of Eucalyptus Avenue, regarding a welfare check of two minor children left unattended. During the investigation, deputies determined the mother of the children left the residence to meet friends. The father was contacted and responded to the location and took custody of the children. Lucia Ramirez, 28, of Avalon was taken into custody and booked at Avalon Sheriff’s Station on suspicion of failure to provide.
DCFS was contacted and the incident was reported to Social Services.
The suspect was later released on a citation to appear in court at a later date.
• Deputies responded to a disturbance call regarding a male yelling in the hallways at the Casa Marquita Hotel at 229 Metropole Ave. Deputies contacted a male, to check on his welfare, and noticed he was swaying from front to back and had to use a handrail to keep his balance.
During their investigation the deputies arrested Joshua Rodriguez, 27, of Castaic on suspicion public intoxication.
He was booked at Avalon Sheriff’s Station and was released on a citation.
• Deputies responded to 1 St. Catherine Way regarding a traffic accident involving an overturned golf cart.
Upon their arrival, deputies determined there were no injuries as a result of the accident.
A traffic collision report was taken and the golf cart was turned right side up.
• Deputies responded to the 200 block of Marilla Avenue, El Terado Hotel, regarding a call for service of a person who was drunk causing a disturbance.
Deputies contacted a female adult who was counseled regarding loud noise. She agreed to cooperate and keep the noise level down.
• Deputies received a call for service of two women smoking marijuana in the alley at 100 Catalina Ave.
The surrounding area was checked and the disturbing parties were unable to be located.
• Deputies responded to “The Cross” on Wrigley Terrace regarding loud music in the area.
The location was checked and there was no source of loud music in the area.
• Deputies received a call for service at 1 Cabrillo Mole, Catalina Express, regarding a man and woman drinking alcohol and possibly being drunk. Deputies contacted the disturbing parties and warned them about liquor laws.
The disturbing parties were cooperative and disposed of their open alcohol.
• Deputies assisted the fire departments and Mercy Air regarding a medical evacuation on Avalon Canyon Road.
The deputies cleared a landing zone for the safe landing of the helicopter.
• Deputies responded to the 100 block of Metropole Avenue regarding a disturbance and possible fight call for service.
During their investigation the deputies contacted a male and female adult and determined they were arguing only.
There was no evidence of a crime at the location.
• Deputies were flagged down by a citizen on Pebbly Beach Road. The citizen requested sheriff personnel stand by while she retrieved personal property and to avoid a domestic dispute.
There was no evidence of crime or disturbance at the location.