The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of July 29, 2021 to Aug. 4, 2021.
All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies responded to Fairview regarding a grand theft report call. The victim advised deputies that his mother was missing jewelry from the residence. The victim believes the jewelry was stolen by one her grandchildren who had recently visited the island.
• Deputies responded to 1 Cabrillo Mole, Catalina Express, in order to keep the peace during a child exchange between divorced parents. The exchange was smooth and there were no issues.
• Deputies received a call for service on Crescent Avenue. The caller stated a male adult wearing a rubber duck mask and carrying a boombox was walking down the middle of the street being disruptive. The deputies checked the area and were unable to locate the disruptive mask wearing individual.
• Deputies were contacted at the Sheriff’s station lobby by a male adult claiming he was robbed on his boat. After further investigation, the deputies determined no crime had occurred and the individual only wanted deputies to patrol the waterside.
• Deputies received a disturbance call on the Catalina Express. The caller stated a male and female were on the boat arguing and coughing on passengers. Deputies contacted the disturbing parties and they exited the boat without incident.
• While on patrol on Crescent Avenue, deputies observed a male and female stumbling and they were unable to stand without losing their balance. One deputy observed the female fall backwards and strike her head on the sidewalk. The male, attempting to help her up, fell on top of her. Both suspects had a strong odor of alcohol emitting from their breath and person and appeared to be under the influence of alcohol. The suspects were medically evaluated and later deputies arrested Ryan Sargent, 39, of Carlsbad, and Erika Sargent, 36, of Carlsbad on suspicion of public intoxication and booked them at Avalon Sheriff’s Station.
• Avalon Station received a call of an intoxicated person on the 600 block of Crescent Avenue. The caller stated a male adult had fallen and injured his back. When deputies arrived, they observed a male lying on the ground with cuts and blood on his left arm, and another male standing over him yelling at him.
Both parties were brothers, and the injured brother was taken to the hospital for his injuries. While talking to the injured man’s brother they saw he was staggering, swaying and was unable to stand or walk.
The suspect had a strong odor of alcohol emitting from his breath and person and Garrett Leonzal, 52, of Arizona, was arrested on suspicion of public intoxication. A breath test was conducted on the suspect and it returned with a .292 blood alcohol content.
• Deputies responded to a business disturbance call at the Catalina Express. The caller stated a male adult was refusing to wear his mask and being rude to staff. Deputies contacted the individual and advised him of the federal mask mandate laws for public transportation.
• A sergeant on patrol observed two females yelling at patrons and challenging them to a fight outside Luau Larry’s. The sergeant advised the perpetrators that he witnessed their heinous behavior and that it would not be tolerated in Avalon. The disturbing parties were counseled regarding their behavior and escorted away from the location.
• Deputies and the fire departments responded to the 200 block of Marilla Avenue for a medical emergency. The caller stated he took an unknown medication and felt as if his body was shutting down. Paramedics treated the individual at the scene.