Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of June 6 to June 12, 2018.
All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• A victim reported he had been assaulted by his neighbor near Marilla Avenue and Vieudelou Avenue. The two individuals have had ongoing disputes in the past. The investigation is ongoing.
• A victim reported that a suspect punctured his bicycle tire with a knife. This incident is related to the above call.
• The Drug Enforcement Agency and the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department gave two anti-drug presentations at the Avalon School and are working to keep our community youth safe and drug free.
• Deputies received a call of someone lighting “sky lanterns” at “Step Beach.” Deputies warned the individual of the fire hazard associated with the “sky lanterns.” The individual was cooperative and did not release any.
• Deputies arrested Jessica Altieri, of Avalon, a little after midnight, in the 100 block of Sumner Avenue, on suspicion of allegedly being drunk in public.
The next morning deputies arrested Carlos Sierra Pineda, of Rialto, in the 200 block of Marilla Avenue, on suspicion of allegedly being drunk in public.
• Deputies arrested Giselle Saldana, of Los Angeles, on suspicion of drunk driving at Avalon Canyon Road and Falls Canyon Road.
She allegedly ran a stop sign and was driving at an unsafe speed when she was stopped.
• Avalon Code Enforcement and deputies received a call of a person with a dog in a “no dog” area on Crescent Avenue.
Code Enforcement gave the dog owner a warning and had them leave the area.
If you get arrested for drunk driving on Catalina Island, it is the same as getting arrested for drunk driving on the mainland. Please do not drink and drive.