Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of June 30 to July 3, 2018. All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies arrested Robert Wendell of Colorado on suspicion of repeatedly stealing food from Vons.
• Deputies issued a citation to a 22-year-old Avalon resident for suspicion of driving without a driver’s license near Tremont Street and Eucalyptus Street.
• Avalon Code Enforcement worked with the Sheriff’s Department, storing seven abandoned vehicles.
• Deputies arrested Angel Hernandez from Hermosa Beach for assaulting her boyfriend in the 100 block of Crescent Street.
• Deputies wrote a theft report after someone stole a backpack from an unlocked vehicle at 1 Casino Way. The investigation is ongoing.
• Deputies responded to the 200 block of Beacon Street regarding hotel personnel finding a gun in a hotel room. The owner of the gun returned to the hotel and picked up his gun. No laws were violated.
• Deputies and the fire department responded to a call where a 9-year-old boy got a fishhook stuck in the back of his leg near Bird Park. The boy was taken to the hospital and the fishhook was removed.
With summer upon us, please remember water safety tips. Do not swim alone, swim in areas that have a life guard on duty, do not swim under the influence of alcohol and learn CPR.