Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of June 19 to June 26, 2018. All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies arrested Bruce Chezz of Huntington Beach on suspicion of assaulting his girlfriend in the 100 block of Saint Catherine Way.
• Deputies arrested Karim Zary of San Diego on suspicion of being intoxicated and causing a disturbance on a Catalina Express boat.
• Deputies are handling a hit and run investigation that occurred in the 300 block of Catalina Avenue. The suspect collided into a parked vehicle while driving a golf cart and then left the scene. The investigation is ongoing.
• Avalon deputies attended an update training course. The topics covered were first aid and narcotic overdose training.
• Deputies received a call of a golf cart speeding up and down Saint Catherine Way. Deputies warned the driver about how to safely operate a golf cart.
• Deputies arrested Ryan Gilbert of San Diego on suspicion of being intoxicated while driving unsafely. Someone called 911 to report an intoxicated person driving recklessly in a golf cart. Deputies stopped Mr. Gilbert on Beacon Street and arrested him.
• Deputies responded to the 300 block of Tremont Avenue regarding a theft report call. A female fell asleep on the steps of the complex after a night of celebration. When she woke up, her purse had been stolen. The investigation is ongoing.
• A resident reported his golf cart missing. Deputies were able to locate the missing golf cart at the Descanso Beach Club parking lot. The cart was returned to the owner.
• Deputies arrested Christian Gonzalez of Avalon on suspicion of interfering with the operation of a business at 1 Descanso Beach.
If you leave your keys in your golf cart, someone is going to take it. Help us help you. Keep your keys with you.