Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of Feb. 7 to Feb. 13
All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Avalon Sheriff’s Station had their first Community Advisory Committee meeting. The advisory members met with Capt. John Hocking and discussed the community’s concerns regarding crime and quality of life issues in Avalon.
The Sheriff’s personnel gave a tour of the Sheriff’s Station and provided information regarding the community of Avalon. A great time was had by all.
• Deputies took a theft report in the 131 block of Metropole Avenue. A victim claimed someone had stolen her jewelry from her residence. Deputies are trying to determine if a crime actually occurred.
• Deputies and the fire department responded to the 635 block of Crescent Avenue regarding a fire. Upon their arrival, they learned there had been a small electrical fire. The damage was minor and there were no injuries.
• Deputies responded to a fight in the 132 block of Vieudelou Avenue. Deputies arrested Jabier Reyes and Miguel Hernandez of Avalon on suspicion of assault.
• Deputies responded to 231 Beacon Street regarding a vandalism report. A Los Angeles resident rented a room at the hotel. Prior to leaving the hotel, someone from his party kicked a hole in the hallway drywall.
• On January 27, 2018, someone stole a surveillance camera from 108 Pebbly Beach Rd. The deputies have been working to determine who stole the camera. On Feb. 11, 2018, Richard Aleman of Avalon was identified as being responsible for the theft. Deputies located the camera and returned it to the owner. The case will be presented to the district attorney for filing consideration.
• Deputies arrested Christopher Alvarado, of North Las Vegas, Nevada on suspicion of vandalism and being extremely intoxicated. Alvarado punched a window on Whittley Avenue shattering it and seriously cutting his hand. He was taken to the hospital and then to jail.
The cruise ship left without him.
• No significant incidents.
Remember, do not talk on your cell phone while driving a vehicle/golf cart. You will receive a citation.