The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of Aug. 22 to Aug. 28.
All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies responded to a traffic collision on Stagecoach Road near Chimes Tower Road. One golf cart motorist collided with another motorist.
There were no injuries and the cause of the traffic collision was unsafe speed.
• Deputies were notified of a child abuse incident that happened several days earlier. A man was seen allegedly hitting an 8-year-old victim.
The Sheriff’s Department and Department of Child Family Services are investigating.
• Deputies responded to the Catalina Island Museum regarding a burglary alarm. The call was a false alarm.
• Deputies responded to the Holiday Inn regarding someone that would not leave their room at check out.
The customer was charged for another night and stayed in the room. No criminal laws were violated.
• Two Harbor deputies along with Baywatch responded to a dive accident off of Lion’s Head.
A 58-year-old Cerritos resident died while scuba diving.
• Deputies were on Crescent Avenue and Metropole Avenue when they saw Joseph Pisco-Salazar of Los Angeles allegedly assault his girlfriend.
He was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence.
• Deputies responded to Machine Gun Park regarding an assault call. A victim had been assaulted by a suspect.
The suspect left the park prior to the deputies’ arrival. The investigation is ongoing.
• Deputies located and arrested Daniel Jankowski of Avalon on suspicion of an assault that allegedly occurred at Machine Gun Park on Aug. 26.
• Deputies arrested Matthew Gonzales from Avalon for assault that occurred at a residence on Lower Terrace Road.
Since school is back in session, be on the lookout for students crossing the street. Drive slowly and yield to students.