Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of Aug. 15 to Aug. 20. All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies received a call reporting that three juveniles allegedly ignited two illegal fireworks near Crescent Avenue and Whittley Avenue. There were no injuries or fires as a result of the illegal fireworks.
• Deputies arrested George Gutierrez of Avalon on suspicion of possessing methamphetamine when he was getting off the Catalina Express boat in Avalon.
• Deputies responded to the 100 block of Clarissa Avenue regarding a stolen laptop and headphones investigation.
• Deputies responded to the Avalon heliport regarding someone flying a drone over the heliport.
The responsible party stopped flying the drone upon request and was scheduled to leave the island an hour later.
• Deputies responded to a party call in the 500 block of Crescent Avenue. The host of the party was cooperative and turned down the music.
• Deputies responded to the Cabrillo Mole regarding a male and female arguing. Deputies contacted the parties and mediated the argument.
• Deputies at Two Harbors handled a boat collision when one boat floated into another causing minor damage. There were no injuries.
The Avalon Sheriff’s Station is looking to increase their volunteer program.
If you would like to volunteer for the Avalon Sheriff’s Station, please call Captain John Hocking at 310-510-0174.