Editor’s note: The following is the Avalon Sheriff’s Station significant incidents report for the week of April 25 to May 1, 2018.
All suspects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Many people who are arrested do not get prosecuted in the first place and many who are prosecuted do not get convicted.
• Deputies wrote a theft report when a student reported someone stole her cell phone out of her backpack while at school.
• Deputies arrested Ruben Chavolla, of Avalon, on suspicion of allegedly breaking into a vacant residence in the 200 block of Clarissa Avenue. Evidence shows that he broke into the residence on consecutive days.
• Deputies arrested Daniel Dockery, of Huntington Beach, on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol, being involved in a traffic collision that caused serious injuries and fleeing the scene on foot. The victim had to be airlifted to a hospital on the mainland.
• Deputies responded to a call on the 360 block of Clemente Avenue where a new homeowner found a gun left by the previous owners. The gun was taken and stored as found property. No gun laws were violated.
• Deputies responded to a family disturbance call in the 230 block of Sumner Avenue. They contacted the disturbing parties and learned no criminal laws were violated. They assisted in solving the family’s issue with each other.
• On April 25, 2018, an individual broke into 127 Sumner Avenue and stole one month’s supply of food. On April 30, 2018, Brandon Venable, of Avalon, was placed under arrest by deputies on suspicion of burglary. Venable also had an outstanding $50,000 warrant for his arrest.
• Deputies arrested Jose Radillo, of Avalon, on suspicion of being extremely intoxicated and causing a disturbance at JL’s Locker Room bar 124 Sumner Ave.
A golf cart is a vehicle and if you drink and drive, you will be arrested. Instead, walk, call a friend, or call a taxi.